Since today is April Fools Day I’ve gathered lots of interesting facts about silver but it’s up to you to decide whether you believe them or not!
- Silver has the most thermal and electrical conductivity of all the metal elements.
- Silver is used for water purification because it prevents bacteria growth.
- Silver can protect you from werewolves.
- It is illegal to use silver as a food decorative in Australia.
- Silver is the whitest colour of any metal.
- Consequently dogs can’t see silver.
- The word silver comes from the Anglo- Saxon word seolfar.
- Rolls Royce jet engines use high performance silver coated bearings to give their engines a higher degree of safety.
- Silver is mentioned in the bible in the book of Genesis.
- Silver is harder than gold but softer than copper.
- Lance Armstrong used silver coated fabric in his clothing in the Tour de France to help control inflammation and promote healing during the race.
- The symbol for silver Ag comes from the Latin word Argentum meaning silver. That is how Argentina got it’s name.
- Alexander the Great was advised by Aristotle to store boiled water in silver containers to prevent diseases caused by contaminated water.
- Silver iodide is used to make clouds produce rain.
- Silver Fulminate is an explosive.
- Silver is so malleable it can be pounded to a thinness of 6/10000 of a millimeter and a single ounce of silver can be stretched into a wire over 48km long.
I might have made up the fact about the dog!